* 12 June 1917 in Zurich; † 17 January 2016 same day
Gottfried Honegger learned to decorate shop windows and went on his travels as a designer and graphic artist. In 1939 he moved to Paris, where his first pictures and drawings were made.
tAt the end of the 1950s, Honegger moved to New York, where he met the abstract expressionists Mark Rothko and Sam Francis as well as exponents of hard-edge painting such as Al Held. At the same time, he was interested in the pioneers of constructive and concrete art.
Around 1960 back in Paris and Zurich, Honegger continued to paint on his square, monochrome white or red New York paintings. He began to work with computers and was interested in scientific research. He dedicated his first large sculpture to the Nobel Prize winner Jacques Monod.
Honegger’s work is present in many countries, above all in Germany, France and Switzerland: in public spaces as well as in private and museum collections. One highlight is the “Fondation Albers-Honegger” opened in the summer of 2004 in Mouans-Sartoux in southern France. It houses the Gottfried Honegger Collection and opened an exhibition entitled “alpha oméga” with his works on 24 January 2016.
In France and Switzerland the artist received his most important honours: in 1985 he became the French “Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Letters”. In 1987 he was awarded the Art Prize of the City of Zurich. In the same year, on his initiative, the House for Constructive and Concrete Art, today’s Haus Konstruktiv, was opened in Zurich.